Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Recognizing the Lord's Hand in Our Lives

Dear Sisters-
I am sorry to be late this week.  Canning is currently taking over my world… among other things. :)  Hope you are well and that you had a wonderful labor day.

I enjoyed teaching on Sunday, and just wanted to reiterate some of my thoughts for those who were not there. 

I was recently picking blackberries with my four year old.  He had his little bucket and was picking the lower branches, while I was on the ladder above him.  I forgot my bucket, so when I picked a handful, I would drop it into his bucket below.  After a few times of me doing this, he looked up at me and said, “Mom!  It’s crazy!  All these ripe blackberries keep falling into my bucket!” :)
Displaying IMG_20150905_190633795.jpg
How often do we look at our lives that way?  Heavenly Father in constantly pouring out blessings, but sometimes we dismiss it as luck or our own doing.  Paraphrasing Elder Eyring’s words:  

It is easy to begin to feel the blessings were granted not by a loving God on whom we depend but by our own powers. (...) There is a simple cure for the terrible malady of forgetting God, His blessings, and His messages to us. (...)  The key to the remembering that brings and maintains testimony is receiving the Holy Ghost as a companion. It is the Holy Ghost who helps us see what God has done for us. It is the Holy Ghost who can help those we serve to see what God has done for them.


Wouldn’t our lived be better if our hearts were full of gratitude, leaving no room for regret, envy, bitterness or resentment?  I testify that the Holy Ghost can bring things to your remembrance and allow you to recognize the Lord’s hand in your lives, even through your trials. 

“That ye contend no more against the Holy Ghost, but that ye receive it, and take upon you the name of Christ; that ye humble yourselves even to the dust, and worship God, in whatsoever place ye may be in, in spirit and in truth; and that ye live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which he doth bestow upon you.” (Alma 34:38)

I love you sisters!  Hope you have a happy, thankful week!
Love,
Lydia

1 comment:

  1. I am grateful for YOU! What a precious story to illustrate our neglect in recognizing God's hand in our lives. Thanks for the tender reminder.

    ReplyDelete