Sunday, December 13, 2015

He is Mighty to Save

Dear Sisters,

I hope all of you were able to attend our Stake Conference today.  What a special meeting.  I’m sure we all feel deep gratitude for President Ellis and the time and sacrifice he put into his service.  I am very excited for President Tuck to lead and teach us.  I’m sure he will be just what our Stake needs.

I enjoyed hearing many of your experiences with the Book of Mormon Saturday morning at the Christmas Breakfast.  Your testimonies strengthened mine.  I know that we can always turn to the scriptures for answers and comfort.  It is a wonderful source of truth and guidance.  

I appreciate all those who accepted the challenge to try to read the scriptures every day, and try finish the Book of Mormon by Christmas.  Even my nine year old Autumn took on the challenge, and I think she will finish before me.  She says it is her favorite book now.  I have had to tell her to “Stop reading the Book of Mormon and come to dinner,” or “go to bed.” A couple times… words I never thought I would say. :)  I testify that great blessings come from reading the Book of Mormon.  Pres. Hinckley promised that as we read the Book of Mormon,

“There will come into your lives and into your homes an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord, a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to His commandments, and a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God”

I hope you will continue your pattern of scripture reading into the new year, or use it as an opportunity to start fresh and make it a habit.
I recently read the wonderful section when Samuel prophesies of Christ’s birth, and tells the people of the signs to watch for. 

Many of the people don’t believe, and even try to kill Samuel, but some listened and believed and seek for the prophet because they wanted to repent and be baptized.  Those believers watched and waited for a long time.  The unbelievers mocked them and said it was past time.  They set a date for the signs to appear and threatened that if they had not come by that time, the believers would be put to death.  How frightening that must have been.  Those people must have had great faith.  The prophet prayed that Christ would come, and just as Samuel had prophesied, the signs appeared, and there were three days of light.  The unbelievers were amazed and left the believers alone.


It occurred to me, as I was reading, that Christ was a “Savior” as soon as he came to earth.  He may have been only an infant, but his humble birth saved the lives of all those who believed and looked for the signs of his coming.  He truly is good at “saving”.  I am so grateful for his ability to rescue us.

 Alma 34:18 Yea, cry unto him for mercy; for he is might to save."

Turn to Him, and He will help you through any trial.  I know He loves you!

Sincerely,
Lydia

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of that little Autumn reading the Book of Mormon so faithfully!

    ReplyDelete