Thursday, February 11, 2016

The Still, Small Voice

Dear Sisters,

Just a simple thought this week.  I had the opportunity to join my son for a school field trip to a museum last week.  During their free-time, I was sitting on a bench, reading, when a grandmother sat next to me.  After a while, her grandchildren came to her very upset, saying that they had spent all their playtime looking for their cousin, even enlisting the help of the workers to find her, only to discover that she had purposely been hiding from them.  The accused girl sat next to the grandma pretending to cry and claiming that the other kids wouldn’t play what she wanted to play.  The grandma didn’t seem to know how to handle the situation, and eventually ended up taking the little girl’s side and said the other kids were being mean.  When they tried to apologize, she proceeded to lecture and shout at them.  There was no validation, and everyone went away crying and upset. 

Really, I had no business eavesdropping, (how embarrassing!) but I felt like I was right in the middle of the drama, due to my seating position, so of course I sat pondering over what happened, after they had gone.  Certainly, I’m no parenting expert, but several times I wanted to lean over and whisper to the grandma, “ask clarifying questing,” “just listen,” “validate,” and “forgive.”  I just kept thinking of little things I wish I could have said, and suddenly it occurred to me that that is probably how the Holy Ghost feels working with me sometimes.  There are probably several times that I could easily find solutions to problems or challenges in my life if I would just tune into that still small voice that could give me little pearls of wisdom, especially in my family relationships.

“Carefully listen to learn from the Lord through the still small voice—the Holy Spirit—which leads to truth. Listen to learn by studying scriptures that record His holy mind and will. Listen to learn in prayer, for He will answer the humble who truly seek Him.
The wise listen to learn from the Lord. I testify of Him and certify that as we “hearken and … hear the voice of the Lord,” we will be blessed.”
-Elder Russell Nelson

As we take time to listen and act on promptings from the Holy Ghost, we are richly blessed.  The Lord hasn’t abandoned us.  He has blessed us with a guide, comforter, and constant companion, if we will “receive” his gift.

I’m grateful we have the guidance of the Holy Ghost, and hope we can listen to those “still small whisperings” this week.

Sincerely,
Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment