Sunday, June 25, 2017

Purified Until They Are Cleansed

Dear Sisters,
I hope your summer has been wonderful!  Hope you are enjoyed the sunshine and some of those summer projects.  I was working on a project last week that involved some spray paint.  I foolishly left the can of spray paint out while I stepped away for a minute.  (I should have known better!)  Of course, my son Brigham got curious, and began experimenting with the spray can.  I came back to a couple of blue spots sprayed onto our concrete.  I was not happy with him.  I didn’t yell, but I very firmly told him he needed to get the scrub brush and start working it out of the concrete.  He sat there pathetically crying and scrubbing, while I declared in frustration that “every time you see this spot, it will remind you of the naughty thing you did, so you won’t ever do that again!”  

It was fitting that in my scripture study the next morning, I came across the scripture in Isaiah 1:18,
Come now, and let us reason together saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.
Through the companionship of the Holy Ghost, I could see the opportunity for a teaching moment.  I later talked to Brigham about that scripture and told him that as a parent, I’m commanded to teach my children about repentance and how to stay clean.  We looked at the spot together, and although he and I scrubbed as hard as we could, even though the paint was fresh, we couldn’t quite get all of it out.  It would have been even harder if the paint had had time to dry.  I told him that when we make a mistake, it is good to recognize it quickly, and try to do everything we can to make it right, but it is only through the atonement that the “spot” can be completely removed.
What a blessing that promise it.  We all make mistakes.  Isn’t it wonderful to know that through our loving Savior, our garments can become spotless through his atoning sacrifice?  We can become clean completely, as we apply the atonement. 
There can no man be saved except his garments are washed white; yea, his garments must be purified until they are cleansed from all stain, through the blood of him of whom it has been spoken by our fathers, who should come to redeem his people from their sins. (Alma 5:21)

I’m so thankful for my Savior and his sacrifice.  I hope we all take advantage of that precious gift.  If you have a “spot” you haven’t quite taken care of, remember that he can help you.
Have a lovely week!
Sincerely,
Lydia

1 comment:

  1. Your beautiful analogies, and clever connections are always just want I need to ponder. Lydia, thank you for sharing them, and for taking the time to clothe your thoughts into words. This particular message about entanglement applies to so many aspects of our busy lives. Thanks again for taking the time to share.

    ReplyDelete