Sunday, November 8, 2015

Thankful in Our Circumstances

Dear Sisters,
Perhaps it is the time of year, but my thoughts are bursting with gratitude today.  I sat in sacrament meeting and just felt happy.  Bro. and Sis. Larsen gave such up-beat talks about their mission experiences, and the Hanamaikai’s musical number was beautiful, and Sis. Garner had my boys completely captivated as she colored a rainbow dinosaur for them, and I just felt thankful to have such a wonderful place to go to worship and learn, with people I love.  This gospel makes me so happy.  

My heart is so full of gratitude for each of you.  You touch my life daily!  I am so grateful for your visiting teaching efforts and all you do to strengthen and serve the sisters in our ward!  You are special, remarkable women, and I love you!
“As disciples of Christ, we are commanded to “thank the Lord [our] God in all things,”1 to “sing unto the Lord with thanksgiving,”2 and to “let [our] heart be full of thanks unto God.”3
Why does God command us to be grateful?
All of His commandments are given to make blessings available to us. Commandments are opportunities to exercise our agency and to receive blessings. Our loving Heavenly Father knows that choosing to develop a spirit of gratitude will bring us true joy and great happiness.
Could I suggest that we see gratitude as a disposition, a way of life that stands independent of our current situation? In other words, I’m suggesting that instead of being thankful for things, we focus on being thankful in our circumstances—whatever they may be.” 
(Elder Uchtdorf)
 
(Recognize the blessings that are raining down on your and enjoy them with thanks.)

Let’s all try to develop an attitude of gratitude this week, even during any difficult circumstances.  I feel sure we will be blessed for it and find greater joy.
Sincerely,
Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment