Sunday, December 4, 2016

Light the World

Dear Sisters,

Merry Christmas!  It feels good to say that.  This is such a wonderful time of year!  I have to share a cute story that made me smile.  

On Monday, the first day of snow this year, I thought it would be funny to pretend that I didn’t know what snow was with my 1st and 2nd graders.  First thing in the morning, I gathered them and told them something really weird had happened in the night that I needed to talk to them about.  I described it, and before I could even finish, they were all telling me it was SNOW! They were appalled that I wouldn’t know what that was.  I said, “Well, I can’t figure it out.  It’s cold and wet and making everything so white.  Why is it there?!”  One little boy raised his hand and blurted out, “It’s there because of Baby Jesus, Mrs. Stewart!”  From the mouth of babes.  Even these little ones understand the reason for the season. J

Speaking of little ones, I just want to share a simple experience about the importance of our examples.  Last Sunday, we were fortunate to hear some great talks from some of the young men in our ward.  Gavin Irwin talked about gratitude and made a cute little list of things he was grateful for using the alphabet.  A couple nights later, I went in to tuck my boys in, and clearly interrupted them, as they said, “Oh man, Mom!  Not yet!  We never make it all the way through!”  I asked, “All the way through what?”  “All the way through the alphabet with things we are grateful for, like that Irwin boy.”  I never would have guess my boys were listening at all during sacrament, but I was so happy to find that they found a good role model to follow.  I listened as they finished taking turns with each letter.  I am grateful for those young men for setting a good example.
Sisters, the Savior set a perfect example for us.  I love the “Light the World” video clip, that shows people following the Saviors example through simple acts of service.  

"Love is the motivating principle by which the Lord leads us along the way towards becoming like Him, our perfect example. Our way of life, hour by hour, must be filled with the love of God and love for others."
-Elder Henry B. Eyring

I want to challenge you sisters to find an opportunity to love, serve, and “light the world” this Christmas Season.  It doesn’t have to be big—just something simple. Follow this link to find some great ideas: 

Count your blessings and find joy in the Savior this season!  I hope you have a wonderful week! PS --- Don't forget to come to our fun "Appetizer" Activity this Wednesday at 6pm! (Invite your friends and neighbors!  See you there!

Sincerely,
Lydia 

No comments:

Post a Comment