Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Joy in the Fruit of My Labors

Dear Sisters,
I hope you are having a lovely week and enjoying the last fruits of summer before school starts.
Speaking of fruits, we’ve been enjoying blackberries at our house.  My mom was recently in town and she picked with the kids.  When she came in, she showed me a picture of a beautiful bunch of berries and she said, “I’m calling this picture ‘Just out of reach’.” 
It made me laugh, but then I asked if she had used the ladder in the garage.  She hadn’t.  And then of course, a metaphor came to me. :) I think very often our growth in the gospel is like this.  Sometimes, the very best fruits take a bit more effort.  If we really need to grow our testimony, we might need “a ladder” or we might need to exercise faith and work.
I could even take this analogy a bit further, when I was picking with the ladder, and as I was reaching for a beautiful bunch, I came crashing down into the bushes. My girls snapped a picture while I was desperately hanging there.

Even still, it didn’t stop me.  Once I recovered myself, and my pride, I adjusted my ladder, and I was able to reach the best berries at the top.  My smashing of the bushes even made it easier for me to position that ladder.  So it is with our struggles as we work to grow our testimony.  Sometimes we go through rough patches or have questions, but with faith, eventually they can help lead us to more light and knowledge.

Alma 36:24-25
“I have labored without ceasing … that I might bring them to taste of the exceeding joy of which I did taste. …Yea … the Lord doth give me exceedingly great joy in the fruit of my labors.” 
I just testify that if we really want to understand a principle of the gospel, we will receive the “fruit” when we put in the labor.
Hope you have a great day!
Sincerely,
Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment