Sunday, October 1, 2017

Heavenly Father, the Perfect Parent

Dear Sisters,
This week, during my scripture study, I noticed such a great pattern for excellent parenting.  In Alma 12:27-34, Alma does a beautiful job of laying out the doctrine behind the Fall of Adam, and Heavenly Father's plan.   God is such a perfect parent.  To begin with, he had an excellent plan, then he allowed his children to fall and make a mistake.  He used that as an opportunity to teach.  "He sent angels to converse with them" and "he conversed with them", taught them his plan according to their faith, and checked for understanding.  Once he felt they understood, he gave them commandments, and allowed them "to act according to their will and pleasure" -- in other words, he let them exercise their agency.  But knowing they would make poor choices from time to time, in his mercy, he provided them with a Savior, who would make it possible for them to repent and return to him.
These steps are fairly simple and familiar to us, but it occurred to me as I was reading them, how great it would be if I tried to follow his example a little closer in my own parenting.  Sometimes I get short with my kids or I focus on their short comings, and I'm quick to correct their mistakes.  
This week, I'm going to try to be more understanding when my children make mistakes.  I'm going to take time to teach and check for understanding, so that my expectations are clear.  And if they still make mistakes, I'm going to teach and remind them about repentance.  
I'm so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father, who, in his great wisdom, created such a beautiful plan for us to return to Him.  I like to think that I was one of the ones who "shouted for joy" when I learned of this plan.  He is so merciful and good to us.  I'm grateful he has given us a living prophet and apostles.  Wasn't General Conference wonderful?!  I was inspired to do and be better, and I look forward to studying the talks closely.
I hope you take advantage of the tools God has made available to you to be successful in keeping his commandments.  Study the scriptures and conference talks.  Follow his excellent example this week!
Hope you have a lovely week!
Sincerely,
Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment