Sunday, September 24, 2017

Seek ye first to build up the Kingdom of God

Dear Sisters,
A couple weeks ago, I was gifted an old sturdy dresser. Doug wasn't too excited, but I convinced him I would spruce it up, and that it was a good idea.  Last week, I was sanding down the dresser to paint it; however, my project was interrupted with other duties and I decided I would have to finish it the following day.  While I was at work the next day, we got an abundance of rain, and I came home to a completely ruined dresser.  It was totally warped, and the water damage was beyond repair.  I was discourage and frustrated with myself for not finishing the project, then to add insult to injury, as Doug and I were lifting this extremely heavy dresser to put it in the back of the truck and take it away, Doug's hand got stuck in between the trail-gait and the dresser while I lifting and pushing hard.  Due to our lack of communicating, I just kept right on pushing, and in pain, he dropped the dresser, which landed directly on my big toe.  Even with shoes on, it smashed the nail and took the skin off of top.  It was very painful for both of us.

I know... this is kind of a sad series of events, and I'm sure you are wondering why I would depress you with my silly first-world problems, but I learned two lessons from this experience that I was wanted to share.

1) Simplify.  We didn't really need the dresser in the first place.  Sometimes, it's ok to pass up a good deal or let something go. (Just not on your toe ;)  In the end, it's just stuff, and we can't take it with us.

"The prophet Alma taught, “Seek not after riches nor the vain things of this world; for behold, you cannot carry them with you” (Alma 39:14). You’ve probably heard the saying “You can’t take it with you.” Well, it’s scriptural.
So where should our focus be? The Savior has told us to look beyond the way station of this world toward our final destination. He said, “Seek not the things of this world but seek ye first to build up the kingdom of God, and to establish his righteousness” (Joseph Smith Translation, Matthew 6:38). He also taught, “Thou shalt lay aside the things of this world, and seek for the things of a better” (D&C 25:10)."

2) It is so important to communicate.  If Doug and I would have talked through our "lifting the dresser" job, we both would have been spared a lot of pain.

One LDS marriage counselor has written: “Effective communication is more than just ‘talking,’ it is the type of interaction that gets the job done: solves problems, builds self-esteem, enhances the relationships, relays important messages, reinforces mutual respect, and helps bond the couple together as an effective unit.” 1

Maybe, these lessons seem obvious, but I had to learn them the hard way, so hopefully this week, you remember to keep life simple by seeking first the Kingdom of God, and communicate.  
I care so much about you and hope you have a wonderful week!

Sincerely,
Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment