Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Awake! No Longer Droop In Sin!

Dear Sisters,
It’s Tuesday!  Where is the week going?! Hope you are doing well. You have been in my thoughts.

My Dad is a Professor of Horticulture and Floral Design, and I married a Horticulturist and Landscape Architect, so I blaim them for my deep thoughts and analogies during my scripture study yesterday. J

I love 2nd Nephi, chapter 4.  It is full am many gems, but as I came to verse 28, and got caught on the word “droop.”  It made me think of a plant; perhaps because I had just watered some of my flowers that were “drooping” and begging for much needed water in the heat. 

Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul.

I cross referenced this verse with Psalms 42:11

Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why are thou disquieted within me? hope though in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.

God is the “health of our countenance” or “soul”.  I started thinking about those plants drooping for water, and how much our souls are ready to "awake."  Sin in our life causes our souls to “droop”.  We should be thirsting for that “healing balm” and light that only the Savior can provide.

If you continue reading in 2 Ne 4:33, again I caught the plant-like word: hedge (a boundary formed by shrubs).  Is there any hedge-like problem in your life that is blocking your path?
Nephi pleads with the Lord to make his path straight and not to hedge up his way, but to hedge the way of his enemies. 
 
Did you know that as we make a conscious choice to be “encircled in the robes of righteousness” the Lord will hedge, or set a boundary AROUND US?!  In other words, as we make good choices, Satan's influence decreases, or even stop all together, we are protected, and able to receive the “health of our countenance”.

If there is something in your life that is causing your soul to “droop,” turn to the Lord, ask him to do some pruning, and make your path straight.  I love you sisters and I want you to be able to take part in all the blessings he has available for you.  I testify his hands are outstretched.  
We had an awesome lesson from Sister Phipps about the blessings of the temple.  Take advantage of those blessings.  If you have never been to the temple, find out what you need to do to be worthy of a recommend.  If your recommend is not current, take steps to make it current.  If you have a current temple recommend, use it and attend the temple regularly.  If you already go to the temple often, go more often.  There are things each of us can to do improve, no matter what stage we are in.
I really do love you and I am cheering for you!  Hope you have a lovely week!
Sincerely,
Lydia

1 comment: