Sunday, July 5, 2015

In faith we'll rely on the arm of Jehovah

Dear Sisters-
I hope you had a wonderful Independence Day!  I had the privilege of standing next to a veteran soldier as the National Anthem was sung, and somehow it meant so much more, knowing him and that he was willing to leave his young family to defend what we stand for.  
Don’t you feel so grateful for our freedoms?  What a blessing it is that we live in this good land, and that we have brave men and women willing to form and defend it!  I missed you today, but I was able to attend a Sacrament Meeting in Mountain Home, and just felt so grateful for freedom to worship, and for a place to partake of the sacrament, even in our travels.

I missed Marilyn’s lesson in RS, but I read the article from the Ensign she was going to study in preparation, and I LOVED this thought about the Book of Mormon coming forth:

“This treasure would signal that after centuries of general spiritual darkness and confusion, the heavens were again open. This treasure would show that Jesus’s ministry was far more expansive in both doctrine and geography than the Christian churches of that day could possibly know. This treasure would affirm that, in miraculous fashion, God is sweepingly active in the affairs of men across time, languages, and continents. And this treasure would promise teachings so pure and powerful that if you planted them deep into your soul, you could personally be transformed, tasting of something so delicious as to make it the ultimate and unmatched feast of your desires.” (The Path to Palmyra)

I testify that God is active in the affairs of man.  I know he works through a living prophet to guide us.  I know that this gospel and the Book of Mormon really are treasures.  We need to treat them as such.  Be active!!!  Come to Relieve Society!  We need you there.  Be actively reading and studying the Book of Mormon.  I know we live in troubled times, but I was comforted today listening to the words of this hopeful hymn:  “In faith we'll rely on the arm of Jehovah to guide thru these last days of trouble and gloom.”

I feel confident that as we remain faithful and active in the gospel,
 “all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28

You have been called!  You committed at baptism to “bare one another’s burdens,” comfort, and stand as a witness of Christ, and the Lord will help you fulfill those promises.  Please fulfill your call as a visiting teacher.
Enjoy your week and I look forward to seeing you soon and love each of you!

Sincerely,
Lydia

1 comment:

  1. It is so wonderful to read about your patriotic feelings. Somehow, it seems like there is so much bashing on America. I find your words refreshing and hopeful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete