Monday, August 3, 2015

Oh, how we need each other!

Dear Sisters,
Oh, how I need you! 

Sis. Marjorie P. Hinckley once said, “Oh, how we need each other. Those of us who are old need you who are young. And, hopefully, you who are young need some of us who are old. It is a sociological fact that women need women. We need deep and satisfying and loyal friendships with each other.”

What a blessing your friendships and associations have been in my life already!  I was thinking that this last week, when my daughter interrupted my sleep, yet again, upset from a bad dream.  I had tried several different things to comfort her and get her back to bed, but there she was again, and just as I was about to slip into “angry mom” mode, I remembered an experience Sis. Prawitt had shared in Relief Society about how she was having a hard time getting her son to sleep in his bed, and then she tried playing primary songs, and he went right to sleep.  Her experience gave me an idea.  I know it sounds silly, but I suggested that my daughter sleep with her scriptures.  I didn’t see her again until the next morning, when she told me how much it had helped, but that she didn’t want to bend the pages so she kept them on her night stand, and if she ever felt scared, she could touch them. :)

Long story short, we need each other.  I so appreciate you amazing sisters.  You inspire and lift me.  Your selfless service is so encouraging.  Thank you to the sweet sister who made a thoughtful anonymous gift for my family this last week. 

Sisterhood is such a great blessing, that I hope each of you take advantage of.  (Certainly visiting teaching gives us an opportunity for that.)  I was grateful for Sis. Hughes’s lesson yesterday on the blessings of sisterhood, with the powerful example of Ruth and Naomi.  I also recently read a beautiful talk “Sisterhood, Oh How We Need Eachother.” by Sis. Linda K. Burton.  There were a couple paragraphs I wanted to share:

“The fact of the matter is, we really and truly need each other. Women naturally seek friendship, support, and companionship. We have so much to learn from one another.
Sisters, there is no other group of women in the world who have
access to greater blessings than we do as Latter-day Saint women. We are members of the Lord’s Church, and regardless of our individual circumstances, we can all enjoy the full blessings of priesthood power through keeping the covenants we have made at baptism and in the temple. We have living prophets to lead and teach us, and we enjoy the great gift of the Holy Ghost, which serves as a comfort and guide in our lives. We are blessed to work hand in hand with righteous brothers as we strengthen homes and families. We have access to the strength and power of temple ordinances and so much more.

In addition to enjoying all of these magnificent blessings, we have each other—sisters in the gospel of Jesus Christ. We have been blessed with tender and charitable natures which enable us to render Christlike love and service to those around us. As we look beyond our differences in age, culture, and circumstance to nurture and serve one another, we will be filled with the pure love of Christ and the inspiration which leads us to know when and whom to serve.”
Sisters, I need and appreciate you so much.  I hope we can look beyond differences, and be united through the powerful atonement of Christ.
Have a wonderful week!
Sincerely,
Lydia

1 comment:

  1. This is why I love Relief Society -- because I become painfully aware of the fact that I cannot do it alone. It is such a blessing to learn from older and younger sisters, and to know that perhaps I can influence someone in my own way. We learn the most as we seek out and offer relief to those in need.

    ReplyDelete