Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Faith is like a Little Seed. If Planted it Will Grow!

Dear Sisters-

What a spiritual feast!  Wasn’t General Conference wonderful?  I have a lot to study and “ponderize”.  We have such inspired leaders!  My son, Seth, was so excited when he saw those beautiful children singing in the Saturday Afternoon Session.  He said, “Finally!  A Child Conference that I have been waiting for all my life!!!” J

I literally planted bulbs and pansies all day yesterday.  I couldn’t sleep last night because my arms and back were so sore.  I am kind of the “pansy,” really. J  While I was whining to my husband about how hard it all was, he smiled at me and said, “Planting bulbs and pansies really is a faith based work, isn’t it?” I am really hoping it will be worth that effort in the Spring. J



My thought this week is simple and probably familiar, but fit in nicely with my planting adventures.  I was so happy this morning to see all the moisture we received, just after all my hard work yesterday.  It made me feel like the Lord was meeting me half way by opening the heavens.  Some of those pansies seemed so limp and dry, like they weren’t going to make it, but they have perked right up with the rain.



Do you recall what Alma taught us about faith and planting seeds? (Alma 32)

26 Now, as I said concerning faith—that it was not a perfect knowledge—even so it is with my words. Ye cannot know of their surety at first, unto perfection, any more than faith is a perfect knowledge.
 27 But behold, if ye will awake and arouse your faculties, even to an experiment upon my words, and exercise a particle of faith, yea, even if ye can no more than desire to believe, let this desire work in you, even until ye believe in a manner that ye can give place for a portion of my words.
 28 Now, we will compare the word unto a seed. Now, if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves—It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me.
 29 Now behold, would not this increase your faith? I say unto you, Yea; nevertheless it hath not grown up to a perfect knowledge.
 30 But behold, as the seed swelleth, and sprouteth, and beginneth to grow, then you must needs say that the seed is good; for behold it swelleth, and sprouteth, and beginneth to grow. And now, behold, will not this strengthen your faith? Yea, it will strengthen your faith: for ye will say I know that this is a good seed; for behold it sprouteth and beginneth to grow.
 31 And now, behold, are ye sure that this is a good seed? I say unto you, Yea; for every seed bringeth forth unto its own likeness.

Now for the connection:  We have heard some powerful words from living witnesses of Christ this last weekend.  
I testify that as we act in faith, experimenting on their words, and plant those seeds deep in our hearts, the Lord will allow our testimonies to flourish and our faith to increase, until we can know that what they say is true, eventually with a perfect knowledge. (That will be the pretty flowers that come up in the springtime. J)


I urge each of us to give a place for those conference messages in our heart.

I love you sisters.  You fill my thoughts and prayers.  I desire happiness and strong faith for each of you!

Sincerely,
Lydia 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent thoughts, Lydia! Your dad and I are actually "ponderizing" Alma 32:21 this week. It has been good for me to consider 'trusting' even when I do not have a perfect knowledge of things.... I can at least 'hope for things which are not seen, which are true.' Sure love you!

    ReplyDelete