Sunday, October 18, 2015

Making the Sabbath a Delight

Hello Sisters!

Happy Fall!  Isn’t it glorious?!  I love this season so much that I couldn’t help but name my daughter Autumn.  We took a family drive up the canyon today and the colors were breathtaking.  


It was the first time in a while that I felt like the Sabbath really was a delight for me.  Don’t get me wrong, I always enjoy Sundays.  I love mingling with good people like you, learning about the gospel, and especially being able to take the sacrament, but that Sunday drive felt good, and delighting in Heavenly Father’s glorious creations as a family felt like an extraordinary opportunity that broke from the routine.
“The Sabbath is His gift to us, granting real respite from the rigors of daily life and an opportunity for spiritual and physical renewal. God gave us this special day, not for amusement or daily labor but for a rest from duty, with physical and spiritual relief.


In recent ward council meetings, our General Authorities trained us on Sabbath Day observance at home and during our meetings.  Their hope is that we will share what we learned and try to set an example.  It is something I have been working on and thinking a lot about.  Elder Nelson’s talk "The Sabbath is a Delight" is a great reference.  He said:

“My conduct and my attitude on the Sabbath constituted a sign between me and my Heavenly Father. With that understanding, I no longer needed lists of dos and don’ts. When I had to make a decision whether or not an activity was appropriate for the Sabbath, I simply asked myself, “What sign do I want to give to God? That question made my choices about the Sabbath day crystal clear."

We often hear the phrase “Show me a sign?!” usually uttered to the skies, but have you ever thought God might like to see some action from us?  So much so that he offers us an entire day for to demonstrate our love?  Isn’t it neat to think that what we choose to do on Sunday can reveal to our Heavenly Father who we are or what is in our hearts?  It almost acts as a covenant or contract of our love and commitment.  I think looking at it that way might make it easier to keep the Sabbath Day holy, which IS a commandment, by the way. :)

“Faith in God engenders a love for the Sabbath; faith in the Sabbath engenders a love for God.

Somehow, it always comes back to faith.  As I mentioned, delighting in the Sabbath Day is something I am working on.  I would like to challenge you to work on it with me.  Maybe together, we can think of new “signs” of our love and obedience that we can offer the Lord on His special day.

​​​
I love you sisters and hope you find some time this week to "be still" and enjoy the beautiful world around you!

Sincerely,
Lydia

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos, Lydia! I am so glad that the brethren are recognizing our great need to focus on Sabbath day worship. It is a commandment, which when obeyed, yields many blessings.

    ReplyDelete