Thursday, January 7, 2016

FAITH TO FOLLOW THE PROPHET and The Word of Wisdom

Dear Sisters,
Happy New Year!  I know I’m a little late, but I was kind of sick during the Holidays, so I’m a little behind and catching up.  Off to a great start, right?

At the risk of being a bit cliché, health has really been on my mind as I’ve been recovering and {of course} setting those New Year resolutions.  My thoughts have prompted a personal study of the Word of Wisdom, and how it came about.  It is actually really inspiring and I wanted to summarize just a bit of it for you.

History of the Word of Wisdom Recap:
As the early church was being established and missionaries were sent out, Joseph Smith was training the Elders in what was called “The School of the Prophets” – kind of like an “MTC”.  As the men would gather to be tutored by the prophet, they would each light up their pipes (as was customary at that time).  The smoke would get so thick that it was almost difficult to see Joseph.  Then when their pipes ran out, they chewed tobacco.  The job of cleaning the spittoon and scrubbing the stained floor fell to Emma Smith, and like any of us probably would have, she eventually went to Joseph and asked if anything could be done.  This inspired the prophet to turn to the Lord.  He was then blessed with an outpouring of Revelation, which is contained in the 89th Section of the Doctrine and Covenants.

My favorite part of this history is how the revelation was received.  Joseph Smith read the revelation to the Elders of the School of the Prophets, and in response, they immediately took their tobacco pipes and threw them in the fire.  Isn’t that wonderful?!!  I wish we were all so obedient!

Truly, they had “FAITH TO FOLLOW THE PROPHET.”

This is what we, as the Lorin Farr 4th Ward Relief Society Presidency, prayerfully selected as our ward Relief Society’s Theme for 2016.  We desire each of us to gain that kind of faith and a testimony of a living prophets.  We believe we are approaching turbulent times.  There is no “gray area” or room for “fence-sitters”.  You will need to decide where you stand and whether or not you are willing to follow the living prophet.

“It is said that a fence-sitter eventually has to come down on one side or the other. If we are sitting on the top of life’s fences, now is the time to muster the courage to stand tall on the side of righteousness and shun the shackles of sin.”  -H. David Burton

The Word of Wisdom:

This modern-day scripture is a beautiful revelation containing God’s will for our temporal health followed by promises of blessings for obedience.

I love that it begins “not by command or constraint” but by “greeting” and “revelation”.  It isn’t given to restrict or control us.  It is given in confidence and trust.

In it, we are encouraged to avoid strong drink and tobacco.  We are told to use herbs and fruit with prudence and thanksgiving.  We are told that grains are for the use of man, to be “the staff of life.”  And also to use meat sparingly, with thanksgiving, adding that “It is pleasing to me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.”  

​We are told twice that grains and fruit (above and below ground) are “good for man”. 

We don’t hear that phrase too often in the scriptures, and I’m reminded of the expression we find in Genesis, after God looks over his creations and he “saw that is was good.”  These are things He has created FOR US, and He has told us, multiple times, that they are good.  I won’t get on a soap box here, but I do think it is interesting how often we are searching for the world to tell us what is “good” in the form of new fad “diets”, “miracle pills”, “self-help books”, “health plans”, or even “scientific research”, when we have already been given the answers by the one who truly does know.

Promised Blessings of the Word of Wisdom:

Let’s not forget the promises for obeying the Word of Wisdom.  I think it’s a pretty big deal, especially considering all the common health problems people face today.

They “shall receive health in their naval, and marrow in the bones, and shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures, and shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint”.

Oh, and in case you thought that wasn’t enough of a promise, how about “that the destroying angel shall pass by them.”  Hopefully that caught your attention. J

Testimony:

I will wrap this lengthy Word of Wisdom recap up with my simple testimony.

I know that this is pure revelation that came from a God who loves us and cares about even our temporal well-being.  I know as we follow this council faithfully, like the Elder’s who threw away their pipes, we will be amazed by the great blessings that come into our lives as a result of our faith to follow the prophet.  I know that as women of the church, we can be like Emma Smith, inspiring change and improvement, and encouraging and strengthening our families to seek truth.  I believe that you are that kind of woman.

Sincerely,
Lydia Stewart


PS – I recently view this well-done documentary called “In Defense of Food.”  (You can actually watch it on PBS online right now if you click on that link.) I found it to be a very eye-opening resource concerning the history and evolution of food production and guidelines.  Let me make clear that I am not promoting it as “doctrine” but I do feel like it had some excellent tips and information that align nicely with the Word of Wisdom.

1 comment:

  1. I found your post this morning so very encouraging! I had never heard that the brethren threw their pipes in the fire. Your dad and I stood in that very room just last Spring! I want to be that obedient and faithful! Thanks for the inspiration, Lydia.

    ReplyDelete