Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Jesus, the Very Thought of Thee

Dear Sisters,
I hope you are having a good week!  It’s so cold and a bit dreary, but have you noticed the spectacular sunrises and sunsets?!  Those mountains are so easy to fall in love with!

I have always loved the song, “Jesus the Very Thought of Thee.”  It’s one I memorized as a teenager, and have sung to my kids at bedtime, so I was excited to hear it mentioned in Melody's great Relief Society lesson.

Jesus, the very thought of thee
With sweetness fills my breast;
But sweeter far thy face to see
And in thy presence rest. …

President Hunter asked, “How often do we think of the Savior? How deeply and how gratefully and how adoringly do we reflect on his life? How central to our lives do we know him to be?
For example, how much of a normal day, a working week, or a fleeting month is devoted to “Jesus, the very thought of thee”? Perhaps for some of us, not enough.
Surely life would be more peaceful, surely marriages and families would be stronger, certainly neighborhoods and nations would be safer and kinder and more constructive if more of the gospel of Jesus Christ “with sweetness” could fill our breasts.”
As I thought about the words to that hymn, I was reminded of the Brother of Jared, who actually did see Jesus’ face because “he knew, nothing doubting”.

Jesus told him,
“Because thought knowest these things, ye are redeemed from the fall; ye are brought back into my presence; therefore I show myself unto you.”

Faith is so powerful!  The Brother of Jared was a great example of knowing how to use that faith to direct his life and bless his family.  Can you imagine how grateful they must have been for the bright stones that lit the barges, so that they wouldn’t have to cross the ocean in darkness?

“There is no end to His power to bless and direct the lives of those who seek truth and righteousness.”
 –Boyd K. Packer

I testify that your faith is a powerful tool, and I pray we can all find the courage to exercise it more often to bless our families.  May thoughts of the Savior fill your week, and may we have the courage to let our faith show!

Sincerely,
Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment