Sunday, January 22, 2017

Allegory of the Icy Driveway

Dear Sisters,
So… how about all this snow? J  It is actually all this white stuff that inspired my thoughts this week.

I recently had the “opportunity” to chip away at a driveway full of frozen packed ice and snow.  We have often had sweet neighbors take care of us, so I don’t want to dismiss their kindness, but they had plenty snow of their own to worry about.  Doug gets to plow snow at the temple whenever it comes down and I’m at work, so between the two of us, we don’t usually get to it very early.  We had both come home tired and quickly forgot about our driveway.  We left it for a day thinking the sun might melt it, but the frozen mess remained. 
Finally, after I nearly got stuck trying to pull into the driveway, I decided I had better address it.  As I chiseled away at the ice with a metal shovel so that my van could get through, I kept thinking, “I wish I would have just shoveled this when the snow was fresh.  It would have been so much easier!  Why didn’t we do that?!”  I found myself repeating this question several times throughout this tedious, labor intensive process.  I usually do my pondering during the menial tasks, when my mind wanders.  It was at this point that I recognized that there was a lesson to be learned here. 

While I chipped at the ice, I considered how it could represent our unrepentant sins, mistakes, or even grudges.  The longer we wait to address them, the more difficult the process of repentance can become.  It is hard work either way, but if we “frankly forgive” or “speedily repent” in the beginning when “the snow is soft,” then the heart might not have quite as much time to “freeze and harden.”  If you have something you need to repent of, don’t wait another day—get the shovel out and chip away at the ice.  Schedule an appointment with the bishop if it is something you need help addressing.

“When we sin, we turn away from God.  When we repent, we turn back toward God.  The invitation to repent is rarely a voice of chastisement but rather a loving appeal to turn around and to “re-turn” toward God.  It is the beckoning of a loving Father and His Only Begotten Son to be more than we are, to reach up to a higher way of life, to change, and to feel the happiness of keeping the commandments.  Being disciples of Christ, we rejoice in the blessing of repenting and the joy of being forgiven.  They become part of us, shaping the way we think and feel.”  -Elder Neil L. Anderson

Although my hours of hard work on the ice were unpleasant, it was satisfying once it was complete.  I still had some rough patches here and there, but was happy to find that when the sun came out the next day, it was just warm enough to melt the remaining slush away, resulting in a clear driveway.  I felt that the sun could represent the Son of God’s atonement.  He heals without a scar.  He promises that if we forsake our sins, he will remember them no more.
 “Any pain entailed in repentance will always be far less than the suffering required to satisfy justice for unresolved transgression.  The Savior spoke little about what He endured to satisfy the demands of justice and atone for our sins, but He did make this revealing statement:
“For behold, I, God, have suffered these things for all, that they might not suffer if they would repent; But if they would not repent they must suffer even as I; Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, and to suffer both body and spirit—and would that I might not drink the bitter cup.” -Elder D. Todd Christofferson

Sisters, I testify that the Savior can heal you.  If there is something in your life that you know you need to change or fix, don’t put off clearing that driveway any longer—catch it while the snow is fresh.  And if it’s already frozen, it’s not too late… pull out your shovel and get to work. J You will not regret your efforts.

Whatever the cost of repentance, it is swallowed up in the joy of forgiveness.

I hope you have a wonderful week.  Stay warm.  Travel save.  And truly, good luck with your driveways. ;)
Sincerely,
Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment