Monday, March 21, 2016

Cleave Unto God

Hello Sisters!

Hooray for Spring!  Doesn’t that sunshine feel wonderful!  I love watching new flowers open every day.  It reminds me of the Savior’s resurrection and rebirth.

I am trying to read my scriptures earlier in the morning.  It is a real sacrifice for me, (especially since day-light savings time change) but I have sure felt like the Lord is rewarding my efforts as I gain understanding.  I have never loved or understood Jacob 5 and the “Allegory of the Olive Tree” like I did this last time through.  

One thing that really struck me was the follow chapter, where Jacob explains why he included that parable. He wanted his people to know that the Lord will come again, and that if they didn’t bring forth good fruit/works, they would be cut off and cast into the fire.

Jacob 6:5-8
  Wherefore, my beloved brethren, I beseech of you in words of soberness that ye would repent, and come with full purpose of heart, and cleave unto God as he cleaveth unto you. And while his arm of mercy is extended towards you in the light of the day, harden not your hearts.
 Yea, today, if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts; for why will ye die?
 For behold, after ye have been nourished by the good word of God all the day long, will ye bring forth evil fruit, that ye must be hewn down and cast into the fire?
 Behold, will ye reject these words? Will ye reject the words of the prophets; and will ye reject all the words which have been spoken concerning Christ, after so many have spoken concerning him; and deny the good word of Christ, and the power of God, and the gift of the Holy Ghost, and quench the Holy Spirit, and make a mock of the great plan of redemption, which hath been laid for you?
The word cleave jumped out to me.  I was fascinated as I looked up the word, that it’s two definitions have such opposite meanings.  One means “to split or sever” and the other (which is definitely the applicable one in this case) is “to stick fast to or adhere strongly to.”

How strongly do you adhere to the Lord?

This made me think about how the He is so merciful, understanding, and forgiving to us.  He gives us every opportunity to succeed and doesn’t give up on us.  I think it is sad that sometimes, as soon as we hit a trial, a doctrinal question, or a controversial issue, we distance ourselves from Him and the gospel, when we should be “cleaving unto God as He cleaves unto us.” 

I like how verse 6 says, “today”—choose to cleave today!  We’ve been nourished by his good word, and surely we don’t want to reject it and be “cast into the fire.”

I’m going to work on “coming with full purpose of heart” and “cleaving” to the Lord like he cleaves to me.  He’s pretty good to us, isn’t he?  He deserves our loyalty, and I believe we are always blessed for giving it.

Sincerely,
Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment