Monday, March 28, 2016

Women of Faith

Dear Sisters,

My older sister just sent me a picture that I hadn’t seen in years.  The shocked, fearful expression on my little baby face made me laugh out loud when I saw it.

On a more serious note, this got me thinking about fear.  We are facing troubled times in the world.  My heart goes out to the poor people in Belgium, who recently experienced the terrible terrorist attacks.  I have been encouraging my children to pray for them, and I think Brigham must have heard me pray that they would comforted, because last night during his bedtime prayers, I heard him pray “that the people in Belgimum will be comfortable.” J He probably doesn’t understand what is taking place, but I am grateful he wants to follow my example. 

I had a similar experience as I was taking notes during the General Women’s Conference, and my girls kept moving my hand so they could copy what I wrote word for word.  At first I was going to get after them and tell them to take their own notes, and then I felt humbled by how they were watching me so closely and trying to be like me.  It was a powerful reminder for me that we must make sure we are teaching our little ones and giving them a good example of faith to follow, and they will not fear, because “their mother’s knew it,” just as the Son’s of Helaman said of their mothers. 

Be women of faith, not fear.  
“Fear and faith cannot coexist in our hearts at the same time.” 
(Elder Andersen)

These beautiful scriptures found in D&C 50:40-42 seem especially applicable:

 40 Behold, ye are little children and ye cannot bear all things now; ye must grow in grace and in the knowledge of the truth.
 41 Fear not, little children, for you are mine, and I have overcome the world, and you are of them that my Father hath given me;
 42 And none of them that my Father hath given me shall be lost.

We cannot carry our load alone, so let us put our faith and trust in our beloved Savior, who has paid the price and overcome all things, and we will not be lost.  I have faith in His ability to rescue us, and I know HE LIVES!!!

Sincerely,
Lydia

1 comment:

  1. I love your baby face! It's interesting that Elder Anderson also refers to the fact that faith is a choice. Agency is a powerful gift, and as we choose to believe, great blessings come.

    ReplyDelete