Tuesday, March 8, 2016

"With us is the Lord our God to help us"

Dear Sisters,
It was so special to see sweet Sis. Daniels sealed to her husband this last week.  The sealer mentioned something that has stuck with me for the last couple days.  He encouraged them to "lean of the Lord and not the arm of flesh," suggesting that sometimes we think we can "do it all by ourselves," but we need the Lord's help in everything we do.

I have been struck a couple times in my recent readings as I have come across scriptures with a similar message.  I think the Lord is trying to tell me something. ;)  I wanted to share a couple of these scriptures with you.

2 Ne 12:22:
Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils; for wherein is he to be accounted of?
(Meaning, to me, "Quit relying on man, for what is he compared to the Lord.")  Kind of reminds me of when Nephi gets after his brothers when they fear Laban and his armies (the arm of flesh) and Nephi urges them to head back to Jerusalem and "be faithful in keeping the commandments" because the Lord is "mightier than Laban and his fifty". 

2 Chronicles 32:8
With him is an arm of flesh; but with us is the Lord our God to help us, and to fight our battles.

I know we all have struggles and battles we are going through.  How amazing is it that the Lord has offered to help us and fight our battles?  Who wouldn't want him on their side?

And lastly, I love this section of scripture in D&C 1:19-
 19 The weak things of the world shall come forth and break down the mighty and strong ones, that man should not counsel his fellow man, neither trust in the arm of flesh—
 20 But that every man might speak in the name of God the Lord, even the Savior of the world;
 21 That faith also might increase in the earth;
 22 That mine everlasting covenant might be established;
 23 That the fulness of my gospel might be proclaimed by the weak and the simple unto the ends of the world, and before kings and rulers.
 24 Behold, I am God and have spoken it; these commandments are of me, and were given unto my servants in their weakness, after the manner of their language, that they might come to understanding.
 25 And inasmuch as they erred it might be made known;
 26 And inasmuch as they sought wisdom they might be instructed;
 27 And inasmuch as they sinned they might be chastened,that they might repent;
 28 And inasmuch as they were humble they might be made strong, and blessed from on high, and receive knowledge from time to time.
Those scriptures remind me that Heavenly Father wants us to grow and gain knowledge, and if we ask and rely on the Lord, though we are weak, we will be instructed and receive knowledge from time to time. (Which is also a good reminder, too, because sometimes we are anxious for a steady stream, but it comes "line upon line.")

I want to testify of the blessings that come into our lives as we lean on the Lord.  He won't fail us.  With him, we can do all things.

We need that faith to "increase on the earth" now more than ever, and if we trust in the Lord, faith WILL grow.  So trust in the Lord this week-- no more of that "leaning on the arm of flesh." ;)

Sincerely,

Lydia

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciated Elder Holland's closing testimony in his face to face broadcast with the Young Single Adults of the Church yesterday. In it he said, "The Savior is the Great High Priest of all good things yet to come." Lydia, your thoughts and scriptures remind us of that great truth, as we rely on His plan and not our own.

    ReplyDelete