Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Keep the Commandments

Dear Sisters,
I think I might be more ready than my kids are to begin Summer Vacation.  Aren’t we all ready for a break and some sunshine?!  Hope you had a good Memorial Day weekend.  It is nice to have a day that reminds us to take a moment to think of those loved ones who have passed, and those good men and women who have fought bravely to defend our freedoms.

I am looking forward to teaching the Relief Society lesson this coming Sunday.  I would be grateful if you would take a moment to ponder what blessings have come into your life from keeping the commandments and following the Prophet.

Yesterday, for Memorial Day, as a family, we read some passages from my Grandpa Juan’s Navy Journal.  He was a pilot during World War 2 for the Navy Air Corp.  

​Wasn't he handsome! :)
He wrote of an experience he had during his pilot training, while he was at a base in California.  He and a friend were practicing what they called “hedge hopping” or low flying. His friend was in the plane above him and flew over a canyon.  In a moment of foolishness, my Grandpa thought, “I can do that, too.”  So, flying low to the ground, he headed into the canyon as well, but quickly panicked as he discovered how narrow the canyon was becoming, which meant he would not be able to gain enough altitude to get out.  In his moment of desperation, he offered a humble prayer for help because he knew he would not be able to fly out of that canyon without the Lord’s help.  He said it was as if his life flashed before his eyes and in his words,

“The thoughts of my striving to live His commandments flashed quickly before me.  I had always paid tithing, obeyed the word of wisdom, and honored the Priesthood, and I knew that he knew I loved Him and I had faith that He would help me.”

As he climbed a little higher, he noticed that the canyon widen a little.  He thought maybe he would be able to fly close enough to one side of the canyon to make a sharp turn and head right back down the canyon.  As he attempted, his wing nearly clipped the edge of the cliff and he knew it wouldn’t be possible, but he did discover that as he continued to make that “S” motion leaning from one side, then to the other, he was able to gain just enough altitude to clear the canyon, which he miraculously he did, and just in time.  A few minutes later, he was joined by his friend, who had circled back to see where his buddy’s plane had crashed in the canyon because he was certain he wouldn’t make it.

My Grandpa said, “Surely the Lord did answer my prayers that day. … I have thanked my Heavenly Father countless times for his saving influence that afternoon long ago in the hills of California. The miracle was real. The Lord helped me with an idea which didn’t turn out as I planned, but which made possible His saving me from destruction.”

 He then shared the scripture found in D&C 82:10

“I the Lord am bound when ye do what I say, when ye do not what I say, ye have not promise.”

This beautiful scripture applies to each of us.  If we keep the commandments, we will be able to call on the Lord in our hour of need, and feel confident in that promise.  Keep the commandments—in this there is safety and peace!

Sincerely,
Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment