Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Patience is a Virtue

Dear Sisters,

HONK HONK!!! 

You’ve all witnessed an impatient driver.  I spend quite a bit of my day on Washington carting kids to and from school.  Just this last week, I pulled up next to a lady who laid on her horn the second the light turned green and the car ahead of her didn’t immediately move. 

Patience really is a virtue, and one that I want to be good at RIGHT NOWJ  It takes a lot of practice, and though I get lots of opportunities to exercise it, it is an area where I usually need quite a bit of work. 

This morning, I told my kids the story of Job, who was a model example of patience.  

To recap, Job was a righteous man, blessed will posterity, property, riches, and success.  Satan told the Lord that he felt the only reason Job was obedient was because he had everything he could want.  The Lord knew Job would be faithful no matter what, and he allowed Satan to tempt Job.  As a result, poor Job quickly lost EVERYTHING.  His servants left, his animals died, his crops failed, his entire family either died or disowned him, but Job still expressed his faith in the Lord.  Then he even lost his health, as his skin became covered with painful sores.  His friends turned against him saying he must have done something wicked for God to curse him.  Here are the words of this humble, patient man…

 Job 16
 15 I have sewed sackcloth upon my skin, and defiled my horn in the dust.
 16 My face is foul with weeping, and on my eyelids is the shadow of death;
 17 Not for any injustice in mine hands: also my prayer is pure.
 18 O earth, cover not thou my blood, and let my cry have no place.
 19 Also now, behold, my witness is in heaven, and my record is on high.
 20 My friends scorn me: but mine eye poureth out tears unto God.
Job 19
 25 For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:
 26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God.

And thankfully, there is a happy ending...  Job does see God, and is taught and blessed, and becomes prosperous again.  I think the Lord quite loves patient people. J

Often times, the Lord has a plan for us that we may not be able to fully comprehend yet.  Or there may be reasons blessings are withheld that are not clear to us.  All we see is the “green light,” but we may have missed the old lady crossing the street, causing the car in front of us to pause.

The world would be a better place if we all developed more patience, and our lives would be much better if we took a moment to pause with patience, and trust in the Lord’s wisdom and plan for our lives.

I hope you find great blessings and happiness this week, and I hope that you will be patient if the blessings come a little slower than you were hoping. ;) Trust that they WILL come!

Love you all!  Praying for you!

Sincerely,
Lydia

1 comment:

  1. I love the analogy of the impatient driver honking at the car that is waiting for someone to cross the street. Perfect illustration of Gods perspective versus our own.

    ReplyDelete