Monday, May 9, 2016

Ministering with Charity

Dear Sisters,

Visiting teaching has been a great blessing in my life.  Confession:  I have selfishly assigned some phenomenal visiting teachers to myself—I know that is probably quite naughty of me, but I have just needed their support.  Neither of these women would want me to sing their praises, but I’m going to do it anyway. (Because I can. ;)

Kathy Hughes visit taught me before I was called as a president, and I felt Sis. Peterson was so inspired to give me an opportunity to get to know her.  Her kind, thoughtful acts and consistency in coming only added to the already strong spiritual confirmation that I needed her as a councilor.  One of the things I have loved about her the most as a visiting teacher is how thoughtful she has been to my children.  She has brought them little treats or prizes for different seasons—one included some fun candy flavored chapstick, which I am embarrassed to admit that Brigham promptly ate with no regrets. J (Sorry Kathy.)  Her kindness and example of perseverance and faith through opposition has meant more than she will ever know.  She is such a special, talented woman. 

And then sweet Joyce Low has just taken me under her wing, even before she was assigned to me.  Despite health issues and difficulties going on in her life, she found time to share thoughtful little cards, pictures, poems, or books for my children every month, just as a sweet friend and neighbor.  She recently brought me a framed picture of a painting I had posed in as a child, but didn’t have a print of.  I thought it was out of print, but she hunted the painting down straight to the printer.  Can you believe how thoughtful?  What an example of charity and kindness.

I suspect both of these sisters wouldn’t claim that they have done much.  They are so humble that they probably don’t even think they are that great of visiting teachers, but they have truly touched my life and been such a blessing to me when I needed their support.  I appreciate their faithful examples of visiting teaching. 

I could fill volumes with countless other examples of sweet sisters in our ward who go above and beyond in their efforts to show charity and compassion.  I just feel a great need to express my love and gratitude for each of you… for your willingness to lift, serve, and love.  I APPRECIATE YOU SO MUCH!!!  I could not do this without you.  Sometimes I get discouraged and troubled about sisters that I know are struggling or going through a difficult trial.  My heart just aches for them, but I take great comfort knowing that they have visiting teachers—a friend to watch over them.  Thank you for your influence and discipleship.

If this is something you have struggled with in the past, please know that I will be praying for you to have positive visiting teaching experiences, so that your testimony will grow.  I hope this will be your prayer too, as you diligently fulfill this calling.  Ministering as a visiting teacher can be simple.  Here are some examples of how we can minister through visiting teaching:

How do we minister?
·         Pray daily for [the sister you visit] and her family.
·         Seek inspiration to know her and her family.
·         Visit her regularly to learn how she is doing and to comfort and strengthen her.
·         Stay in frequent contact through visits, phone calls, letters, e-mail, text messages, and simple acts of kindness.
·         Greet her at Church meetings.
·         Help her when she has an emergency, illness, or other urgent need.
·         Teach her the gospel from the scriptures and the visiting teaching messages.
·         Inspire her by setting a good example.
(See “How Visiting Teachers Love, Watch Over, and Strengthen a Sister,” in
 Daughters in My Kingdom, page 123.)

We will know we are successful in our ministry as visiting teachers when the sisters we visit can say:
·         My visiting teacher helps me grow spiritually.
·         I know that my visiting teacher cares deeply about me and my family.
·         If I have problems, I know my visiting teacher will take action without waiting to be invited.
I especially liked that last list, because rather than focusing on what our visiting teacher is or is not doing, we can always reflect on our own efforts.

We can always find ways to be thoughtful and improve as visiting teachers.  I testify that, just as Joyce and Kathy’s humble example of charity has influenced my life for good, we too, can share our Savior’s love through visiting teaching.

I love each of you so VERY MUCH!  Hope you have a wonderful week!

Sincerely,
Lydia

1 comment:

  1. When you are a mother of adult children, you will more fully appreciate the impact of what you have posted here. It is such a comfort to know that visiting teachers are aware of the needs of my children throughout the world.

    ReplyDelete