Monday, July 18, 2016

"A Charity Case"

Dear Sisters,
The summer is passing by too quickly!  Hope you are enjoying the sunshine and fun family activities.

I recently heard a sister say she didn’t want meals or visits because she didn’t want to be known as “a charity case.”  I understood what she was trying to say and I admired her desire to be self-reliant, however as I have since pondered on what it means to have charity, I believe there are lessons for all of us, both on the giving and receiving end of charity.  I’m sure these scriptures in Moroni 7 is familiar to you:

 45 And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
 46 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail—
 47 But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him.

Take a moment to ponder the attributes of charity and see how you are doing.  Consider, with those beautiful verses of scripture in mind, that perhaps it isn’t such a bad thing to be “a charity case.”  Shouldn’t we all desire to either give or relieve the pure love of Christ?  If you are in need of charity or service of some kind, please don’t deny someone the opportunity to share or show Christ’s pure love by serving you.  They may need it just as much as you.  We are stronger when we are loving and serving each other.

This was illustrated in my own life just this last week.  I had to meet for a full day curriculum planning.  I had made arrangements for my kids, but they fell through.  Feeling troubled about what to do regarding childcare, I said a simple prayer that things would work out, and then I started cleaning up the kitchen… because that was something I can always do. ;)  When I took the trash out, I heard a voice say “Hey Sis!  How are you doing?”  I looked up to see sweet Peggy Blaylock peaking out of her bedroom window.  We exchanged hellos and then she said, “I was wondering if you would let me take your kids tomorrow.  I would love to take them to the family history center jubilee.”  I hadn’t even said a word about needing help.  Tears filled my eyes as the knowledge of the Saviors love washed over me.  He was aware of me and my needs, and I was so touched that Peggy was in-tune enough to know just what I needed at that moment.  Her sweet act of charity truly allowed me to feel that pure love of Christ.

Sisters, our inspired Relief Society moto of ‘Charity never faileth’ is truly one to live by, and “it will be well with us” if we do.  We all need to give and receive the pure love of Christ.  In my book, it’s ok to be known as “a charity case.” J

Sincerely,
Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment