Sunday, July 31, 2016

"Friendship that will be Delightful and Enduring"

Dear Sisters,
Last night, my five year old came up to me with a notebook full of drawings done by his older brother.  He turned to me, pointing to a picture, and said, “Can you believe that kid?!  Isn’t he just so cute?”  I couldn’t smile big enough. J  Obviously he had heard me say something similar to my husband.  It cracked me up that he was so serious and acting like an adult.  It reminded me how very quickly this time when they are little flies by.  I just want to love every minute, and sometimes I forget to do that.
I’m working on enjoying the small moments with my children, but I especially need to work on remembering the sweet guy that supports me behind the scenes, in everything I do.  One of the best things I can do for my kids is to show them that I love and think the world of their Dad.

My message today can apply to any sister or circumstance, but is particularly for young mothers.  I love this quote by Sis. Marjorie Pay Hinckley,
“I know it is hard for you young mothers to believe that almost before you can turn around the children will be gone and you will be alone with your husband.  You had better be sure you are developing the kind of love and friendship that will be delightful and enduring.  Let the children learn from your attitude that he is important.  Encourage him.  Be kind.  It is a rough world, and he, like everyone else, is fighting to survive.  Be cheerful.  Don’t be a whiner.”
Isn’t that a beautiful perspective?  I especially love that ending there—“Be cheerful.  Don’t be a whiner.”  Sometimes we complain—you know what I’m talking about: “It’s not fair, I was up all night with the baby and you slept through the whole thing,” or “I am sick and tired of cleaning up everyone else’s messes!”   Just think back on your interactions.  Are you cheerful and encouraging?  Or is there a little too much whining going on?  That is something I know I’m going to work on.
“Marriage is still very much a living institution, worth all the time and patience invested in it.  Marriage is the stable structure that encircles and supports two clumsy individuals, learning to love and live with each other.”
-Ronna Romney and Beppie Harrison, “Giving Time a Chance”
I love this candid "in-between" snap shot of my family during our recent reunion photo-shoot, because it captures a sweet moment between my mom and dad, who are good examples to me of having an eternal perspective and nurturing that love even with all the chaos that comes with raising six kids.

​  
I hope this week you find some time to nurture your marriage or a family relationship.  “Develop that kind of love and friendship that will be delightful and enduring.”  I promise you rarely, if ever, regret being kind.
Have a wonderful week!
Sincerely,
Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment