Sunday, July 3, 2016

Turn Around and Face God

Dear Sisters,
Happy Sabbath!  I haven’t forgotten about you!  Life just got a little busy and eventful on this end.   I’ve been taking a couple classes to keep my teaching certificate current.

Maybe it’s because things have been so busy around here, that I have been simplifying things in my mind.  It hit me recently how simple the gospel really is.  Here are some simple truths I pulled out of my reading in Alma chapter 9.  (This is when Alma left the judgment seat to do missionary work and returned the second time to cry repentance to the wicked people of Ammonihah who threw him out last time.)
  • Don’t harden your heart or have a “stiff neck”.
  • Keep the commandments and you will prosper.
  • Disobey the commandments and the Lord can’t be with you.  You loose the light of the gospel and potential blessings.
  • We are “highly favored” and have the fullness of the gospel.  The Lord will hold us accountable for it.
  • We need to “remember” our ancestors and our past and how we got here. (Doubt your doubts before your doubt your faith.)
  • The Lord is merciful if you call on him.  Repent and he will forgive.

I think the phrase “stiff-necked” is fascinating.  I especially think it is interesting when you know that the original word for repentance in ancient Hebrew is “shuv” which means to turn around and go a different direction.  Eventually, repentance became “teshuvah” which means “to turn around and face God” or “to turn to God.”
A stiff-necked person is unwilling or unable to turn their head to face God.  Their neck is stiff.  They WILL NOT repent and turn to the Lord.  I think in our day it takes an interesting form.  We rely on the arm of flesh often.  Our neck is set with our head looking down to earth for all our needs.  We won’t or can’t look up to God because our neck is set in place.

I have so enjoyed visiting with many of you as we have gone around on our Presidency Popsicle visits over the last couple weeks.  We still have a few of you to visit, so don’t think we’ve forgotten you, and if we have, remind us because we want to see you. J  Anyway, occasionally we have visited a sister or two that is upset with the church or offended about something.  It is usually clear that they are not “prospering”.  Their heart has become hard and their neck is stiff, and they are unhappy.  It breaks my own heart.  I wish I could always have the right words to say, that might soften their hearts.  I would just encourage each of you to keep the commandments and make sure you are regularly repenting.  If your heart is hard, allow the Lord to heal it.  Sacrament meeting is a wonderful setting for this process to take place!

We would do well to take a moment to ponder on the state of our “neck”. (As funny as that sounds. J)  If we find that it is stiff, we can always repent or “turn around and face God”.  I testify that our lives will be richly blessed and we will prosper if we do.

Sincerely,
Lydia 

PS.  Happy Independence Day!  

I hope you have a happy, safe day celebrating our blessed country and the freedoms we enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment