Sunday, July 24, 2016

"Nourish it with care, that it may get root"

Hello Sisters and Happy Pioneer Day!!!
We are so grateful for the examples of the good men and women who went before us and made possible the blessings we enjoy today!  We are blessed daily by their vision and courage!
“We must be sure that the legacy of faith received from the pioneers who came before us is never lost.”
                                               -M. Russell Ballard
Speaking of faith, I happen to be studying Alma 32 where he teaches about planting the seed of faith in our hearts.  Perhaps it stuck with me because trees and seeds have kind of been on my mind this week—mostly likely because I painted a big wall mural of a tree in my classroom this week…

And then I climbed a tree to pick and bottle a million apricots…
 
…So I’ve got some real life application going on here. J
These experiences, combined with reading Alma, have caused me to reflect on my faith, and what I am doing to nourish the seed or word of God.  In other words, what am I doing to strengthen my testimony of the gospel?
(I wanted to paste some scriptures out of Alma 32, and I ended up highlighting the entire chapter.  I think this parable of the seed is one of my absolute favorites, because it is so simple and clear.  Please take a moment this week to at least read Alma 32:28-43.  This parable has powerful application for all of us.)
I will highlight the gist of the Parable of the Seed:
Alma compares the word of God to a seed.  He encourages us to plant it in our heart and see how it makes us feel, so that we can know if the word is good or bad.  He says if we continue to nourish it, it will grow, as will our faith and understanding.  He also points out that the knowledge gained isn’t perfect because we still need to exercise faith.  So far, we’ve only planted the seed.  We have to “nourish it with great care, that it may get root, that it may grow up, and bring forth fruit.” 
I think this next verse is interesting, because he warns that if we neglect the tree and don’t allow it to take root, it doesn’t mean it wasn’t a good seed or that the fruit wouldn’t be good.  It means the ground was bad, and the seed wasn’t nourished, so we don’t get the fruit, or “knowledge” that comes from having faith.
Question: How is quality of our soil (or heart)?  Have we nourished it?  Are you fanning or dousing the flames of our faith?  I’ve notice that sometimes, when someone becomes inactive, they forget their faith, and start to think that maybe the seed wasn’t good, when in reality, the seed wasn’t nourished and it was planted in barren ground.
On the other hand, when we nourish the seed, wonderful things happen…
 41 But if ye will nourish the word, yea, nourish the tree as it beginneth to grow, by your faith with great diligence, and with patience, looking forward to the fruit thereof, it shall take root; and behold it shall be a tree springing up unto everlasting life.
 42 And because of your diligence and your faith and your patience with the word in nourishing it, that it may take root in you, behold, by and by ye shall pluck the fruit thereof, which is most precious, which is sweet above all that is sweet, and which is white above all that is white, yea, and pure above all that is pure; and ye shall feast upon this fruit even until ye are filled, that ye hunger not, neither shall ye thirst.
 43 Then, my brethren, ye shall reap the rewards of your faith, and your diligence, and patience, and long-suffering, waiting for the tree to bring forth fruit unto you.
What a promise!!!  The knowledge and rewards we receive from being faithful will be “sweet above all that is sweet.”  Don’t forget that it requires faith, diligence, and patience.
I hope and pray that you sisters will plant the gospel deep in your heart and nourish it through faith and study, and I testify that with patience, your testimony and understand of the gospel will flourish.
The Lord wants us to have that “precious fruit.”  He wants us experience the fullness of the gospel in action.  This week, in honor of our faithful Pioneer ancestors, I hope we will all find ways to “fan the flames of our faith.”
Sweet sisters, I love you.  I pray for you.  I pray that the Lord will give your opportunities to strengthen your testimony and faith… so I’m sorry if you get some extra faith-building bumps in the road.  The Lord usually hears my prayer. ;)
Sincerely,
Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment